Friday, March 05, 2010

no thanks, i'll stand

I'm calling it. It's official. I have a running injury. And it's humorously placed in my--wait for it--hiney. Dead center in the right quadrant. Guess what makes it hurt the most? Sitting. Guess what my whole day involves at work? Again, sitting.

Wanna see where it hurts?  Here's a rendering:

Note:  rendering is not to scale

 I will admit that it was a stupid idea to try and run last night, but I am stubborn, and goal-oriented. Also task-driven. It hurt yesterday, but I decided to do a brief run anyway. I ended up doing 4 1/2 miles Shut up, I know that's not brief. But! It felt ok when I was running! And I'm obviously stupid.

I must also admit that I was crossing my fingers that I'd make it through this training without an injury. But that ship has apparently sailed. So I'm mainlining and alternating Advil and Tylenol (not really helping so much, sadly).  Last night I did a bunch of gentle stretching after my run, and iced my butt.  And still it woke me up at 3:30.  So I found that sleeping on my back with my knees bent is the best posture.  It really seems to be a pressure thing.  Probably the stretching/tightening the muscle in any way isn't helpful.

So, let's take a poll--is it insanely crazy to run 14 miles tomorrow, or just crazy?  I'm really afraid that this won't go away, and I think that I should probably just rest it for a few days and see how it does.  But it doesn't hurt when I'm running, only when I'm sitting.  So maybe I should run and not sit for a few days?  Yeah, I'm not even really convincing myself.  But I was really excited about this run.  The weather is supposed to be lovely.  I've never run that far before, which feels like a Big Deal.  I'm all for Big Deals. 

Also, I'm really task/goal-oriented. I want to be on track, and stay there.  I don't have a lot of leeway in terms of "make-ups" for my long runs.  I don't know what to do.

Actually, I do know what to do, but I just don't want to.  Wah!  Boo!

This is just another good reason to hate my rear.

No comments: