Thursday, March 30, 2006

Whether 'Tis Nobler to Stay Home in Quarantine or Spread My Germies and Keep My Flex Time

As I mentioned in a previous post, Mr. Bump got a wicked head cold (probably from the airplane) on our recent trip to San Diego. He cowboyed up through the trip but today is Day 2 of him staying home from work, something he hardly ever does. This is not a man who takes mental health days, or I'm not feeling great days. I believe the criteria to be fever, vomit and/or vertigo that prevents him from riding his bike to work. So he is home in bed and I am here at work, feeling like I just might be on the verge of getting sick. However, unlike my husband, I do not have a gajillion sick days to play with. My sick days are also my vacation days, so I get to choose: be sick at home and not give this to anyone or go to work sick and keep my vacation days for the trip to London.

On another note, is it wrong for me to want to stay home and take care of my husband when he is only sick with a head cold and probably only needs lots of rest, orange juice and Sprite by the tumblerful and Tylenol Rapid Release Gelcaps for the fever (oh, and one of those cool temporal artery thermometers which I finally broke down and bought)? Why do I feel an almost excessive need to take care of him? Maybe it is my need to nurture finding an outlet. Maybe since I have no baby to take care of, I'm infantilizing my husband. Maybe I just want to stay home too and hang out.

So it is off to work for me and the grandiose hope that either this ick will wait to pounce until Saturday or will pass me over entirely. Either way, I'm jamba juicing it for lunch and keeping my fingers crossed and my hands washed.

No comments: