Wednesday, April 19, 2006

You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.

I have this saying I picked up somewhere on the internet post-it noted to my monitor at work. I picked it up as a dieting tip, to remind myself if I blow it at lunch I don't need to blow the whole day, or whole week. But I think it applies to a lot of other situations. The parts of my life that feel stagnated, the parts that are drowning me. Like, say, my job, for example.

I certainly am more than willing to embrace change. Achieving it, however, can sometimes be more tricky. You may only drown by staying in the water, but when it feels like you're being held under by the universe, it feels like will drown you just as surely. It is hard to keep coming back for more. But I'm trying. I'm trying to hold on to what I learn, digest it and use it.

Yesterday Ruby learned that sometimes when you show attitude to a dog that's about your size, and even significantly older than you, sometimes you get attitude back. It isn't often that owners applaud the dog that growled right back to their dog, but we sure did. That's right Ruby Slippers, Maddie schooled you, even at her ripe old age of 15.

Yesterday Mr. Bump learned that our kitchen counters don't necessarily end up cleaner after they've been cleaned. He saw an experiment on Mythbusters (see episode 12) involving sterile swabs, petrie dishes, and a quest for which is the dirtiest location on their set. And guess what, our kitchen countertops were not so clean, even after he wiped them down with bleach/water solution. We're still trying to figure that out. Anyway, here is one of his cultures if you care. If you don't, I'm sorry.


Yesterday I learned that you can't take a camera cell phone into a federal judicial building. I learned that if you argue with the parking garage attendant that you parked in Early Bird and she doesn't speak English very well, she'll eventually just give in and give you the cheaper rate. And I learned that even if you can't get out of the water yet, you can save yourself by just holding on and treading in it.

And for god's sake, if the water happens to be pooled on our kitchen counters, don't drink it.

No comments: