Thursday, May 04, 2006

behold the power of the mighty marble cake

I made the marble cake again, because I will never be beaten by a baked good. This time, on the advice of good friend C, tried Baker's Joy (actually knock off product because I couldn't find the real thing) and yay! the cake did not stick. I also only left it in for 35 min. instead of the 45 to 50 it called for. Much better. Huge success.

So I brought it in to work this morning, and labeled it "Lana's 'I'll Miss You' Marble Cake." And the might of the marble cake is not that it is delicious and therefore was devoured (although it is and it was), but rather that something in its beautiful airy sponge lightened my mood, and gave my husband back Happy Wife. He has missed her sorely and therefore he too believes in the might of the marble cake.

Today I have developed that candy coated shell I've been searching for, and I'm all about moving on. I'm picking out a new health plan, I'm deciding how I want my name on my name plate, I'm choosing my email address. I'm scheduling when I'll take my oath of office. (Yeah, that's right, I have to take an oath of office.) I can't tell you where this all came from--its a gray day here with the possibility of rain in the forecast so it isn't the weather--but it has been a long time coming and I'm glad it's here. This is how you should feel when you give your notice. There should be the happiness of the marble cake kind. Not openly weeping your guilt at reception for all the world to see. Like I was yesterday.

I predict next week I will have a serious case of short-timer's disease, but for now, I'm just happy to be moving on. That, my friends, is the power of the mighty marble cake.

No comments: