Wednesday, December 19, 2007

fever! in the morning, fever all through the night

SPOILER ALERT--If you expect a gift of food from me, this will ruin any surprise about what you'll be getting. If you keep reading, you'll know the contents of your tin before you get it. END SPOILER ALERT.

I've not been posting this December because I've spent every free moment focused on my latest project, which is the Christmas cookie/candy/fudge extravaganza. Something happened to me this year and I caught the fever. The baking fever. I can't stop myself. Every day I find a new recipe that I want to try and I go home and bake it. For example, the night before last, after a Christmas evening out with the girls, I came home and decided to make a batch of macaroons. After using an egg white for the macaroons, I had a leftover yolk, so I decided to make another cookie recipe I have that just calls for a yolk.

Last night I tried to make fleur de sel caramels, which ended up being toffee hard. I dreamed about trying to get the caramels right last night. I also made a batch of biscotti, which turned out beautiful. The weekend was a full on baking frenzy. I made peppermint marshmallows, a batch of granola, chocolate sauce, dipped shortbread and marshmallows in chocolate, and made nutella biscotti.

So far here is the grand total: 4 batches of granola; a double batch of penuche fudge; a double batch of caramel sauce; a double batch of chocolate sauce; macaroons; cinnamon diamonds; toffee; two different kinds of biscotti, chocolate dipped shortbread; peppermint marshmallows; and regular marshmallows. Somehow I'm dying to find the time to try the caramels again, make a batch of plain shortbread and cocoa mix. I can't seem to help myself. I'm burning up with the feva'. I'm dreaming about it. I'm sitting at my desk wishing I were home to do more baking.

Hep me! Hep me!

Normally I'd be exhausted from all this baking, but I feel high on it. I get a little flutter when I'm thinking about what else I might have time to make. I think I need to lie down for a bit.

No comments: