Thursday, July 09, 2009

summertime

It's gotten H.O.T. here in the last week. Running in the heat is new for me, but last night I needed to get a run in, and I delayed as long as I could, but set off around 8:30. I'll give you the rundown on the night running.

Pros: Beautiful sunset. Lukewarm temperature (rather than scorching). Fairly quiet. Really tired by bedtime.

Cons: The bugs, people. At least over by Sloan's Lake last night. I came home with them stuck to my sweaty neck and shoulders, and I ate a significant amount of them. Like more than that amount of acceptable roach protein allowed in Hershey bars or whatever. Navigating running through people with dogs, people with kids, people on rollerskates, people on bikes. Also in effect at Sloan's Lake--the vagrants getting ready to bed down for the night. In addition, by the time I got halfway around it was pretty dark. There were lots of people out, but still kinda freaky. And then to avoid the bugs I veered away from the lake, and then there were the dark deserted streets. I kept trying to picture myself as one of those hard-core runners you see in the Nike ads, but I was a little scared, I'll admit.

Obviously I'll have to do it a bit more to get a final decision on whether or not to run after dark. And whether or not I want to carry pepper spray with me if I do (could be good for dogs and skeeries, but where to put it?). Next up is to try to run in to work in the morning rather than running home. This could be good, as long as I don't trip over my feet because I'm half-asleep. Also requires a lot of preparation in advance, including leaving a set of clothes at work for the next day. And I'm pretty much a change my outfit at the last minute in the morning kind of gal. So we'll see if I can get it together enough to do that.

But I am on schedule in training for my half-marathon, somewhere between week 2 and 3. I've got another 9 mile run this weekend (last weekend was supposed to be 8 1/2 but my Nike+ didn't fire correctly so I ran an extra half-mile), then a step down to 8 miles next weekend before ramping back up in the mileage.

Last weekend we were up at Bumpalot for the weekend with my folks, which was super fun. Mr. Bump and I did a 6 mile hike with my little mum who has arthritis in her hip. I've tried to do that hike, which is more like a long walk with some small ups and downs, twice before. Once on Mr. Bump's and my "honeymoon" which was spent at Mr. Bumps' grandparents' cabin with our two bridesmaids (get your mind out of the gutter) who were from California and New York. Anyway, back then were both fine but I bailed about a mile and a half into the first 3 miles (it is an out and back hike--3 miles in, 3 miles out). One other time I think we tried and I had to stop then as well. The hike is to an abandoned resort hotel called Inter-Laken which was very popular around the turn of the century. Now most of it is boarded up but they are restoring a bit of it, which is actually quite beautiful.

Anyway, it seemed like a little morning stroll this time. I was shocked that I could do it. And my little mum did awesome too, although I haven't checked in with her this week to see if she's "all stove up" from it. I believe in the trade they call this a Non-Scale Victory (NSV). It felt awesome to do that after a 9 mile run the day before--and mind you, all at 10,000 feet. I am a Goddess! ...and we're moving on.

The Barefoot Bakery is taking its first fledgling flight this week as well. A coworker has ordered a spice cake for his father and a batch of peanut butter cookies, for deliver on Friday. I think I'm set to finish it all up tonight. Maybe this won't take off, maybe it will. But it is fun, so I hope it does. Any tips on marketing would be greatly appreciated.

And finally, for those of you who have been following along, I do have a DEW (Diamond Earring Weight) update for you. I was just going to wait until I was there to make the announcement, but as anyone who knows me will tell you, I'm not that good at waiting. As of this morning, I am .6 pounds away from the "official" DEW. Some would probably say close enough, but I must get there--all the way there. Then I'll start thinking about earrings. So close! But as this isn't horseshoes or hand grenades, I'm going to wait for it. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: