Wednesday, May 31, 2006

new job: days one and two

Ok, I'm sorry I've been remiss in posting about my job, or for that matter, anything. So here you go.

The last couple of days have been really draining, and I don't know if that is because I got used to a couple of weeks of sleeping in and shopping 'til I dropped, or if it is from information overload. Probably both.

Taking the bus has gone pretty well, although inevitably someone who sits near/next to me smells, or their lunch stinks, or they are sitting too close and getting in my personal space. The thing about driving that is nice vs. the bus is that you have some time in private to come down after your day--you can sing along to the radio or your favorite cd, open the window, cry if you want/need. The thing about the bus is that you don't have to pay attention and you can pop in your mp3 player and read a book. But there is a lot of lurching and the aforementioned smell. But, it is free vs. a lot of money for a parking garage and it does keep me on a schedule, which for those of you who know me, is very important.

Work itself: I've met a gajillion people, very few of whom I remember unless I've had a specific meeting with them or training. So far I have had 3 meetings today. Next week will be a flurry of more meetings. Yesterday I got an extensive tour of the building: I've retained how to get out and back in for lunch and where the fridge and the bathrooms are. There doesn't appear to be an active coffeemaker. Disappointing. I may have to figure something out. Or I may buy coffee each morning. Not enough caffeine has made me fuzzy, which is not what I need while in heavy training.

Mostly what I've been learning is how to docket stuff, how to stamp stuff, how to just not remember enough of what I've been shown to feel at all confident with what I'm doing. I hate this new job feeling of not knowing what I'm doing. But from what I've been told this will be how I feel for at least the next six months to a year. So I need to get over it and just deal.

Sociologically the office is interesting. I can't go into much detail about the politics because I don't want anyone to stumble across this and me lose my job. So unfortunately there will probably be little office blogging--we'll see.

Right at this very moment I feel very drained. I think mostly it is the feeling of uncertainty I was talking about earlier--just keeping my head above the water I'm treading. They've been really great about not giving me a ton of stuff to do, but not being able to finish all I've been given was frustrating. But I didn't want to screw anything up worse than I may have already done in the one piece of work I docketed after my trainer/supervisor went home.

Anyway.

It's good to be home.

No comments: