Wednesday, August 26, 2009

the black toe of death running and other things of note

So it's been a while, and there are things swirling about (in life, in head, etc.) and I'm going to try and put it all down here for you. You're welcome.

To answer the question I get most lately: How's the running?

Fine, thanks! I completed a 12 mile run last Saturday, and managed to do it without 1) spiking my heart rate and 2) collapsing and dying. Woo! Part of that I attribute to the fact that I ran in Loveland, down here on the plains rather than up in the mountains. I will admit there is a difference between running at 5,000 feet and running at 10,000 feet. I didn't really notice much difference until this weekend's run. It was my longest run ever, but my pace was 11:40 per mile, which is just awesome for me. Although, looking back on my 11. mile run in Leadville 2 weeks ago, my pace was 11:42 per mile. But I just felt a lot better. After the 11.5 mile run, I didn't have anything left in me--my legs were completely dead. But this weekend, I was grinning and singing along with the radio on my way home in the car.

I've developed what I like to call The Black Toe of Running. Part of me feels like I'm a real runner now, like it's a badge of honor. And part of me is just grossed out by it. It's on the toe next to my big toe on my right foot (thanks for asking!) and I don't think I'm going to lose the toenail, but who knows? At least it doesn't hurt anymore. I blame a pair of $14 running socks I bought at REI just before a 10 mile run because I forgot to pack a pair of socks. It took me a while to realize there was a huge blister underneath my toenail, but it started hurting about 5 miles into my run, just at the point where there's nothing to be done but run back. I'd post a picture of it here, but that's just kind of ew and also I'm too lazy. Suffice it to say that it just looks like I've painted one of my toenails purple.

The half-marathon is 25 days away, and I'm really excited about it. I'm a bit worried that I'm peaking a leetle early, but I'm just going to see how it goes. I've got three more long runs to get through, and at this moment I can't decide if I should go for 14 miles or just start tapering after this weekend. Or if I should run shorter this weekend and longer next weekend. I don't know. I'll figure it out, I suppose. Suggestions are always welcome. I haven't actually run the race course, which I did for the 10K, and I don't know if I will. Boulder is just far enough away that trekking up there for a run doesn't appeal to my lazy busy lifestyle.

What's up next, you ask? That's a very good question. Up next is a 2 1/2 week long vacation where I will be doing a whole lot of sitting, a good deal of eating with little to no opportunities for exercise. There are pools various places we'll be staying, so I'll bring a swimsuit, and we'll be walking walking walking in Paris, so that will help a bit. But lalala I don't care. I think I've earned a little rest. I think I need it. Then once we get back I've got to get a new goal. I've got some things in mind, but I'm letting them percolate.

I happened upon this little movie on the Netflix streaming instant play thingy (I may have misjudged the usefulness of that XBox 360--the Netflix on XBox is peachy). I'm telling you, even if you've never had a desire to run, or run a marathon, it's an inspiring, enjoyable movie. Me, I was blubbering. I think maybe maybe maybe I have a marathon in me. See goals percolating above. Anyway, I highly recommend adding it to your queue or viewing it by your alternative means of movie-watching.

On to the other things of note portion of the post:

Twenty-eight days until our trip to South Africa/Botswana. We just got our itinerary packet this morning, and there is something about all those travel vouchers and confirmation numbers that makes it really real. We've gotten our malaria and emergency antibiotic prescriptions filled, been innoculated against polio (booster) and typhoid. I've got bug spray for our clothes, a sun hat for safaris, and my long windy gauzy neck scarf for Paris. Thank goodness I have a half-marathon to train for or I'd have gone even more overboard on the planning/prepping for this trip.

I am, most officially, a size 12. I haven't lost a whole lot more pounds in the last month (none, in fact), but my size 14 pants are loose so I'm taking that. I'd like to lose a couple more pounds before we go to Africa, which really comes down to watching what I'm eating more closely (or more honestly at all). I'm not sure I'm going to hit that goal of weighing less than Mr. Bump by the end of the month, but I'm really close--only 2 pounds or so. Maybe I can just fatten him up?

The Barefoot Bakery is kind of a non-starter at the moment. I think part of it is that I've really not had the time or energy to really advertise or sell it, and so I've put it on the back burner until I've gotten through the next couple of months. Hopefully fall says baked goods and people will be interested.

One last thing--

There has been a lot of buzz on the blogs about this picture in Glamour this month. I think it's beautiful. I think she's awesome. I think her body is much better than mine (I mean, come on--she's 20). But her little tummy makes me feel like mine is not the end of the world. I think we all want to feel ok with who we are, and just the fact that Glamour is going to help me on that journey makes me want to subscribe to their magazine. The editor-in-chief has said they're listening to all the feedback they're getting, and intend to move the magazine in a direction that reflects that, and I hope they do. One of the things I was blown away by in the "getting to know Lizzie" article above is that they listed her weight. And are you ready for the stunner? I weigh less than she does. Holy crap. I know I shouldn't go there, it's shouldn't be about the number, blah blah blah. And admittedly she's probably got 3-4 inches on me. But dude. Dude! So yay Lizzi Miller! Yay Glamour magazine! Yay women everywhere in every shape and size! I am a size 12 woman--hear me Roaaar!

No comments: