Tuesday, August 11, 2009

stumbling blocks

The last couple weeks have been tough ones here on Team Bump. I got the UTI on my 9 mile run two Saturdays ago, causing me to walk the last two miles of it. This weekend's 10 mile run was cancelled by stomach pain that kept me up most of the night. I'm still not sure what that was about, but it seems to be better.

I managed to squeeze in a 10 mile run after work last night, but it wasn't easy. Some new socks gave me blisters and I've been struggling with groin pain in my last few long runs. It doesn't seem to be something that I can stretch out, but I'm trying to shake it off and run through it. I can do this, and did do it last night, but let me tell you--I thought some of my insides were going to fall out. I don't know why exactly, and thankfully nothing ever did, but man.

I'm really looking forward to the half marathon, and for the most part the training has been going well, but I'm also looking forward to the 3 weeks of rest that our trip to South Africa and France is going to force upon me. In general I think I'm a 10-15 miles per week kind of gal. Beyond that I just run out of energy and enthusiasm. Right now I'm running about 10 miles before I do long run at the end of the week, and when it finally comes around I'm tired and tweaked about it all at the same time. But I'm still contemplating the notion of running a marathon. Someday. Hopefully the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco, where the finisher's medal is from Tiffany's. Sadly, it is in October so this year is not possible. Who's with me for Women's Marathon '10?!

I have chosen a new/next goal in the last couple of weeks, too. I'm 3-5 pounds (depending on the day) away from weighing less than Mr. Bump. Now for most women, this isn't something they've ever had to contemplate, but my guy is tall and skinny. And I have never, in our 10+ year relationship, weighed less than him. But I'm going to. Hopefully by the end of the month.

On the Africa front things are moving along swimmingly. We went and got our shots with the Travel Medicine Office (actually one shot for polio, and we were sent home with pills for the typhoid vaccine). We also have prescriptions for malaria pills and emergency antibiotics and lots and lots of literature about what not to drink (tap water), what not to eat (any fruit you do not peel yourself), and what not to do (get too near any wild mammals (ha!) because you can only get the rabies shot if you are actually bitten). There were many other brightly colored pieces of fear in our folder from them, but you get the gist. And it freaks me out somewhat to read all that stuff so I'm just going to make sure I've got a good first aid kit and a sturdy pair of walking shoes and hope that covers it.

We've figured out an itinerary of activities for our time in Cape Town, which includes a trip to the wine country, one up Table Mountain, and one down to the Cape of Good Hope. We might take a sailboat trip, we might swim with penguins. It's going to be fun with a side of non-stop action. And then, after all that crazy adventuring, three days of strolls along the Seine, early morning trips to the local boulangerie and leisurely petit dejeuner in our Paris apartment sounds like the kind of dream where first you win the lottery and then your rich uncle dies and leaves everything to you.

I promise I'm not trying to rub this trip in anyone's face, but I'm so excited. I can't wait. Six weeks from tomorrow! Holy crap I've got to start my trial pack. Yes, that's right, I do a trial pack. Don't judge me! You try to fit clothes for three different climates in your carry-on sized duffel bag without some preparation. I dare you.

P.S. There have been no sightings of the knickers. I know you were wondering. I believe they have been eaten by the dryer, but I have no proof. A moment of silence for the $16 travel knickers.

No comments: