Monday, March 21, 2011

salt

**I'm trying some new subject matter. Bear with me.

Anybody see this movie?

(image source)
 I know it came out nine months ago, but it can be like pulling teeth to get Mr. Bump to sit down and watch a movie.  We finally watched it last night after about a month after the Netflix sleeve arrived in the mail.

Verdict?  I liked it for about 3/4 of the movie, and then it all fell apart for me. Normally if I find myself thinking about a movie after the credits roll it's because I'm intrigued enough by the premise to try and puzzle it all out. This one I was trying to rewrite in my head because the plot made a right turn that I didn't approve of.  Admittedly, we watched the extended version, so maybe some of the extra stuff was what made less sense?

I'm not going to spoil the plot for anyone that hasn't seen it, also partly because I'm too lazy to lay it all out here. Basic plot question: is this CIA agent really a Russian spy? Or isn't she? Or is she?

If you saw any of the trailers, then you'll have seen her leaping from the top of one moving semi-truck to another. This I found more believable than the way in which she was sprinting through the streets of D.C.

This isn't the best shot of it (**I took the image out because Life.com keeps blocking it), but she pumped her arms in a way I've never seen anyone run. It was weird. Which was part of the annoyance. Maybe the problem was that it deviated from the "formula" of this kind of movie, and I kept waiting for the formulaic resolution, which never happened.

Anyway, I was just curious if anyone else had seen it, and what they thought.  I loved the first 3/4 of the movie, all the action (I mean, she makes a bazooka out of a table leg, cleaning supplies and a fire extinguisher, for goodness sake!), and especially the jumping from semi-truck to semi-truck stuff, but it just seemed disjointed.

No comments: